Monday, July 16, 2012

Week 1 Challenge: Constructed Self Portrait

Weegee had always been a favorite photographer of mine ever since I had first come across him in the history of photography class.  His motto, "f8 and be there," has definitely shown me what is possible when documenting events and how to get the best out of an image.  It was said that he had a knack for knowing the perfect time to release the shutter and looking through his images I can definitely agree.  The image I chose was one of his titled "Their First Murder."  This image had always been one of my favorites due to the raw emotion throughout the image and the sense of chaos it seems to invoke.  The process of placing myself in the image was quite simple after a few hours of trial and error.  My first attempt I had made my self portrait black and white.  After playing around with that I then realized due to the light yellow undertone of the original image I was unable to go that route.  My main goal throughout the entire project was edit myself into the original image whilst leaving the original image as intended by the photographer.  My second route was to take myself and  desaturate that in the original using a layer mask.  This one seemed to work out much better.  After I got my color as close to that of the original I created another layer mask on my self portrait and started to wipe away the edges and sit myself into the background.  Once this was done I threw on a noise filter, just a little bit, to make it seem as if though it were part of the original image.

No comments:

Post a Comment